School Enrollment Registration

To be sure the school year gets off to a great start, parents should register their child before the first day of the new school year.

There is no need to register a child for school if he or she was enrolled in the district the previous year. Students new to the system should visit the appropriate school office to obtain the necessary registration forms.

When registering from outside the system, parents/guardians will be asked to present the following:

  • Proof of residency

  • Birth certificate

  • Transcripts or academic records (optional--official records will be requested)

  • Name/Address of the former school

PARENTS or LEGAL GUARDIANS are required to be present when students are registered.

Children are assigned a school based on where they live. To find out which school your child will attend, call any school or Central Services at (828) 733-6006.

Kindergarten Students

Registration for kindergarten classes continues through the first few days of school; however, parents are encouraged to register their child well before the first day of school so that class sizes can be determined.

Early kindergarten registration for the upcoming school year is held during April prior to the start of the school year at each elementary school. Informal Screenings are conducted at this time.

A child must be five years of age on or before August 31st in order to enter kindergarten. An official state birth certificate, proof of physical examination, immunization record, and other documents are not required to register a child initially, but are required to be on file with the school when school starts. The Avery County Health Department can provide the necessary health examination.

Immunization Requirements

Effective July 1, 2015 , the administrative rule, 10A NCAC 41A.0401, has been changed, adding new requirements and Kindergarten and 7th grade entry.  

NC School Immunization Requirements


Students who will be moving to another school in the system because of promotion to higher grades will be automatically registered. Students transferring from another school system should take their immunization record, report card, and withdrawal slip from the previous school to enroll at their new school.

State law requires that every child entering public schools in N.C. receive a health assessment. The assessment must occur within 12 months prior to entering school. The medical provider, parent or guardian must provide a completed health assessment transmittal form to the principal of the school on or before the child's first day of attendance.

Parents/guardians who have questions about registration or their child’s school program may call their child’s school.